Kate starts swimming lessons next week. She has been in and around water a lot since she was a baby, but she's recently developed a dislike of all things water related. We went to a swimming birthday party recently, had a swimming playgroup today, and have gone swimming a couple of times this season at my in-laws house. She always gets excited to put her suit on, then she seems very excited to get into the water, but she balks about 5 minutes after that. She says, "Mommy, I get out now, I put my clothes on now, I go in now (occasionally crying ensues, but not always)." I'm afraid that I'm going to spend the whole 30 minute swimming lesson convincing her that she likes to be in the water.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with anything toddler-realted. She's definitely not scared of the water, just doesn't seem to want to stay very long. Any advice that will make the lessons more enjoyable?
Spring Break Tradition: Top Golf!
2 years ago

chocolate?
ReplyDeleteNot being a mom myself, I don't have much advice, but I did attend my goddaughter's swim class recently. Since she's only 2 1/2 years old, they constantly changed up the activities and kept it interesting. For example, they had to round up floating balls and kick to get to them, at the end of the lesson each child got to slide down a mini-slide and go under, etc. Does she have a favorite doll that could go swimming with her? Maybe if Barbie had a swimsuit and Barbie liked swimming, Kate would too? {shrug}
ReplyDelete