Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This Potty-Training Thing....

....is quite humorous.  I swore up and down that Kate would not have her own size potty chair, she would magically go in the big one right away.  Boy was I wrong.  She's pretty terrified of the big toilet, so we scratched that idea right away.  I bought a chair that is her size, and some training panties.  Every time we're just hanging out at home, I don't put a diaper on her anymore, she gets to wear big-girl panties, and she loves it.  There is just one big problem, she won't do anything while she's wearing them!  She'll strut around the house (and I do mean strut, apparently she thinks the big-girl panties are quite a fashion statement), and she'll sit on her Kate-size potty, but she won't "go" unless she's wearing a diaper.  And let me tell you, she goes as SOON as we put the diaper on her.  Yesterday I think she held it for about 5 hours.  I can't even hold it for 5 hours!  Plus, now she's doing this thing where she walks around the house and sits on anything that is the same height as her potty chair, and she pretends to "go" on it.  I walked in her room a few minutes ago and she was sitting on a pile of books grunting.  I have to try SO hard not to laugh because it's pretty much the funniest thing I've ever seen.
I've read many books on this subject and most of them say to wait until your child is ready for toilet training.  If you try to do it before they're ready, you're going to create more problems for yourself and the child.  Right now, I'm pretty okay with just having fun and laughing while she learns how to be a big girl.  Why rush things? I figure that she'll be able to go in a big potty by the time she's 30, at least I hope.  In the meantime, I'm just going to enjoy my "free" entertainment!
~Molly

P.S. I detest the words potty, toilet, and panties.  I much prefer restroom, bathroom, and underwear.  For the sake of this post, I used the words I don't like knowing that they are a little more appropriate for potty-training.

1 comment:

  1. You are braver than I! We got our little potty chair out of the garage and into the bathroom... Kouper sits on it when we potty... but that's about it! I wish there was a magic potion that would do the dirty work for us! HA!
    Any luck on the house yet? I killed a black widow outside of our front door the other day, argh! I'm trying to be a country girl, but it's scary! Scorpions, copperheads, coral snakes. YUCKO!

    ReplyDelete